NAFSA and H-1B Holders

The H-1B visa program is designed to bring skilled workers in various industries to the United States to fill gaps in employment. One of those industries is education, and employers and employees attempting to use the H-1B program often connect through NAFSA. The National Association of Foreign Student Advisers was established to promote and structure the professional development of US college and university officials who lead foreign students. If you’re in this field and considering using an H-1B visa, you should understand more about how NAFSA may play a role in your future.

The H-1B Visa for Educators

Foreign workers with at least a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) in the field of education may be recruited to work in the United States. These individuals need a visa to enter the country legally, and the H-1B category is designed for this purpose.

Under the H-1B, qualified beneficiaries live and work in the US for three years, with an optional three-year extension. During that time, they are able to pursue green card status if they choose, bring their immediate families with them, and obtain gainful employment and the benefits that come with it.

Employers may be for-profit or not-for-profit organizations. Whether the beneficiary’s visa petition is in the “capped” or “uncapped” category depends on the employer’s status. Those employees who wish to work for capped organizations must go through the lottery process. Only 65,000 petitions are approved annually, with an extra 20,000 allotted for petitioners with advanced degrees, a common practice in education.

How NAFSA Fits Into This Path

Nonimmigrant professionals with special skills can enter the country to perform specialty occupations. NAFSA, in its entirety, is structured to connect intricately with these individuals in education.

Employers affiliated with NAFSA seek to employ H-1B nonimmigrants to fill openings in instructional and non-instructional positions. The NAFSA organization has over 10,000 members and international educators globally, making it easier for the network to place potential employers with skilled foreign workers.

The organization focuses on international education and exchange with the aim of advancing policies and practices to help US citizens and foreign workers excel in the future.

Members of NAFSA participate in learning programs, help develop resources, and interconnect with others on a global level to embrace opportunities for partnership. It’s not unusual for NAFSA members to apply for an H-1B visa during their education and instructional journey.

Although NAFSA’s leaders can help connect employers with open positions to prospective workers, they aren’t immigration law experts. If an H-1B path is in the near future for you, talk to an immigration attorney now. They’ll help you to understand the requirements, time frame, and potential obstacles you can expect to encounter, and make a plan so you don’t miss any of these crucial deadlines.

What’s Next?

If you’re a foreign worker with skills in education or an employer in the US wishing to hire someone who meets those requirements, NAFSA is a good place to start. The organization has a network that extends across the globe, making it easier to find and connect those with similar goals.

Once you have made that connection and have an employer to sponsor you (or an employee to sponsor), contact Visa2US. Our legal experts are available 24/7 to get you started in the right direction for your H-1B visa. The popularity of this document makes it vital to get started as soon as possible.

Call or message us today to find out how you can qualify for a cap exemption for your H-1B petition and what to expect on your journey as an H-1B employer or employee.


Skip the research part for your immigration application.

Simply answer questions we prepared for you and the completed forms are ready!

H-1B Visa

H-1B Visa

H-1B visa is used by businesses and organizations in the United States to employ foreign nationals with the preferred qualifications, knowledge, and expertise in a role.

I-485 Adjustment of Status

I-485 Adjustment of Status

Submit a form I-485 application to apply for lawful permanent resident status.

National Interest Waiver (NIW)

National Interest Waiver (NIW)

An applicant must either hold an advanced degree or have an exceptional ability in their field that would substantially benefit the U.S. to be qualified.